Friday, March 10, 2006

Ai!

In a city the size of Los Angeles, with the population of a small country, I am still always amazed at the fact that 60 (or so) languages are spoken here, with English no longer in the dominant position overall.

Things can get fairly amusing here at times.

That many of the people speak Spanish here does not surprise me, since this whole region was part of Mexico until the US "won" a war with it's southernmost neighbor, much to the chagrin of the Mexicans living here.

And then 200 years or less of Americans ignoring this 2nd language (I keep thinking of Quebec).

As a child I recall the school principal admonishing my parents to speak to me only in English, as my Spanish could "only be a hindrance to my education". As a result, I basically taught myself Spanish as an adult.

The school system offered French and German classes, but no Spanish language courses. I sure the huge Franco-American population was pleased by this. Wait. There isn't one.

That being said, what always does surprise me are the residents (native born or more than 10 years) in Los Angeles who have never bothered to learn any Spanish and lately seem more and more flummoxed by their inability to get their thoughts across a not so wide gap.

Case in point, the woman I saw who was shouting for directions at the black haired, dark skinned grocery clerk, when her English apparently wasn't getting across, so yelling it was (as if the fellow was deaf). Her "valley-girl" speak was very distinctive.

"I said :I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET TO THE 101 FREEWAY. IS THIS CLEAR TO YOU?"

A shrug, and an attempt to open his mouth.

"I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER. I'VE LIVED HERE ALL MY LIFE AND CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THEY WOULD HIRE A LATINO THAT DOESN'T SPEAK ENGLISH."

The clerk clears his throat, and says:

"Oh, miss. I do speak English. I am Armenian, and I did not answer you because I did not understand your accent nor your question, and before I was able to ask you to repeat, you began shouting at me."

I left before it got too embarrassing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home