Thursday, March 09, 2006

one of those perfect days


Since my birthday last year royally sucked (I was in the midst of moving out of my 12 year marriage) I was determined to not call much attention to it and just take the day off with my favorite lady...

My 9 year old daughter, Mavis.

Well, I went to pick her up the night before and lo and behold if the little sneak hadn't baked me a cake mostly on her own...classic yellow with milk chocolate frosting, sprinkles and some happy birthday words...

I was very moved and proud, and that was just the beginning!

The next morning she let me sleep in (a rare luxury for me on a weekday, since I take her to school/camp almost every day of the year).

We watched some silly cartoons, then walked to breakfast at a nearby diner, where she bought me a paper.

Then she joined me for a stroll around our local lake (LA does have a real lake) and we talked and talked and joked under a relatively rare fresh air day with big clouds racing across the sky (big rain the day before).

After that, we went back to our tiny apartment and read for a couple of hours (bliss!) and I got a nap.

Mid-day found us heading for the Hollywood Hills for a hike to the top. Mavis decided on a shortcut straight up a cliff (very taxing) which for her was amazing, as she is just discovering what fun being active is. At the top, apples and trail bars and "million dollar view" (her words) of our fantastic city. Snow capped mountains, amazing smog-free sprawl and the ocean to the west! Played "I Spy" with landmarks for an hour.

Headed back home, change of clothes and off to Little Tokyo for too much sushi. Mavis finally let me show her how to use chopsticks, and the waitress complimented her on her quick skill. She also picked up a plate of steamed spinach and enjoyed it!

And we ran into some friends where she got to climb with a boy while the mom and dad talked (Mavis seemed interested if the single mom and I were dating. "Hmm...hadn't thought about it.").The kids went to the local Japanese bookstore and bought comics.

Home again, school night, but a couple of more cartoons, then the little one tucked in to bed (after another slice of her cake with some rice milk-don't tell mom). She told me how much the day had meant to her, and I just melted.

All the anxieties of the last couple of years just seemed to go away for the day, and the prospect of a great friendship with my growing girl made me supremely happy.

A great day, full of love and warmth, all with my favorite lady.

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Here's to million dollar views and million dollar little ladies!

Thu Mar 09, 11:50:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home