Wednesday, February 15, 2006

the young marble giants

Years ago, back in my old punk rock high school days (1980? 1981?) I went to see one of the shows that would alter my life.

Up until then, being a punk in Los Angeles meant being one in a couple of hundred oddballs in town, getting "Hey, Devo" yelled to you from cars by Mexican home-boys, having crazy hair, not being allowed into Disneyland, and getting the shit beat out of you by UCLA frat boys if you ventured into their turf (Westwood).

Many of us devoured the NME and other like mags from across the pond. we shopped at the local 2 stores that carried imports.

The local bands were all pretty good, or so it seemed, but far too many were just rock, albeit stripped down, raw and pissed. I was always searching for the more experimental varieties, but they were scattered and few.

Then we (girlfriend, brother, and other girlfriend) saw the ad for THE SHOW.

Cabaret Voltaire and the Young Marble Giants were coming to town. Extreme noise, extreme minimalism.

It was a long month of waiting for 2 bands that we were obsessed with. I mean this was it for the crazies amongst the crazies. back then, things weren't so divided in the music scene, so this was an event for many in 'the scene.'

The night came, the 2 local opening acts ignored, and then the Young Marble Giants.

Two brothers, a woman singer. Rhythym machine, bass, occasional guitar and keyboard. I was blown away,stricken, killed, ressurected,and in love.

I wasn't even high.

The band did nothing much on stage, but the music was sublime. Brilliant. Frightening. I felt an awareness spring up in me regarding all the possibilities in music and life, and can still visually quote what Allison Stratton did during the few songs she sang on.

I was in bliss for the rest of the evening, and essentially don't remember anything else (including "breaking up" with my 2nd girlfriend) save for the sonic virus that had entered my head.

I can't describe the music. That's like dancing about architecture.

The band split up after the tour, leaving behind just a few singles and one full length album.

Over the years, I searched in vain for a supposed 2nd album. I wore out 2 vinyl copies. Every mix tape I made included one of their songs.

Found a few scattered projects by the brothers in obscure music shops, but kept on playing the old Rough trade albun.

My first happy acid trip was spent with a Walkman playing the album over and over wandering UC Berkeley. Oddly enough, the Red Hot Chili Peppers were playing a frat party. I tuned them out.

I have played the album on the first day in every new home I've moved into.

I snuck a song onto my wedding day tape.

I played the album to my daughter in utero and on the day we brought her home...

I expect that 'Man Amplifier' (also a name of an aborted band of mine) will be played at my funeral.

If I ever get to make my film, it's the soundtrack.

It's one of 2 cd's at my work desk.

And lastly, one year ago, I found a DVD of the band playing live. Out of the blue.

Same tour, different town. Didn't matter. I was shaking. Should i play it? will it hold up?

So I waited. And waited.

Feeling low last night, I gave in and played it finally. All fears gone.

It was glorious.

And I cried, cried, cried. Happy. Filled with visions. And memories of a concert that changed my life.

I'm playing it again tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

I eagerly await my mix tape!

Thu Feb 16, 08:58:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home