Tuesday, January 03, 2006

can't turn around

so, as some of you may know, i am a dj, and have been for 20 plus years...

not just my internet radio show (killradio.org, thurs 7-9pm left coast time), or my stint as a pirate broadcaster, but actual live party/club things...

i used to do it a lot more, but whenever it ceases to be fun or too much like work, i take breaks...

well, this new year's found me djing a party for a pal, and even though the set up was primitive (2 cd players, a guitar mixer and a home stereo-I've worked with worse) and the bulk of the attendees unfamiliar (mostly 20-30 somethings on the local music scene) we all had a pretty good time...

until this one ditzy woman (and did she have to be blonde? no! she chose to be,as she drunkenly told me...) chose to begin commenting or complaining about every other number i played)

to an old rock steady tune: "we've all heard burning spear before"

to some buzzcocks: "don't you have any led zep?"

to led zep: "do you have any of the earlier stuff?" (the track was from #2)

to the staple singers: "any james brown?"

to james brown: "any parliament?"

you get the picture...eventually i told her to fuck off, to which she replied: "hey, I'm paying you for this party!!"

which was a surprise, because i was doing it as a favor to my pal, and this woman hadn't even been invited. She'd crashed.

time for another break.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

I think I had that woman at one of my Burgundy gigs... and it turned out she was a hooker "on a break." When I left, she was mindlessly grinding her ass against a glass door on Selma. Music critics come in all shapes and sizes, my friend!

Tue Jan 03, 03:50:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home