Thursday, June 19, 2008

writing

i would love nothing more than to be paid a fair wage for writing for a living.

i'm not sure what makes me think i'm a writer, but hey, i did just get my first paycheck for an article. a short book review (in me wife's paper that she edits-ain't nepotism grand?) of a travel book. it took me 45 minutes to write, and lo and behold somebody paid me for it.

i really like the feeling of holding that check. it's one of the few times i've ever been paid for doing something i liked.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good OGG, man! You know there are a lot of us out there, right? My dad (who is still in L.A. and teaching at USC) wrote nine books over 40 years and all were published. He made his living from writing. I still remember the click-click-click of the IBM Selectric as his office was above my bedroom. Now he's a writing "teacher," or "guru" as he puts it. *shudder*

So, I couldn't do what he did, right? I became an editor and ghostwriter. It paid really well, but I got no glory whatsoever. Now I think I can drop the daddy-rebellion and write my own stuff. Why? Because it brings me joy and people respond - just like I can't stop responding to your entries here. I have a feeling something good is going to happen.

Thu Jan 15, 12:50:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home